Charles Darwin. Photograph by Elliott & Fry, circa 1880
Darwin, Charles. The Works of Charles Darwin. Edited by Paul H. Barrett and R. B. Freeman. 29 vols. London: Pickering & Chatto, 1987-1990.
- Vol. 1. Introduction; Diary of the Voyage of H. M. S. Beagle. Edited by Nora Barlow (1933).
- Vol. 2. Journal of Researches into the Geology and Natural History of the Various Countries Visited by H. M. S. Beagle (1839), Part I.
- Vol. 3. Journal of Researches...., Part II.
- Vol. 4. The Zoology of the Voyage of H. M. S. Beagle, under the Command of Captain Fitzroy, During the Years 1832-1836 (1838- 1843), Part I, Fossil Mammalia; Part II, Mammalia.
- Vol. 5. The Zoology...., Part III, Birds.
- Vol. 6. The Zoology...., Part IV, Fish; Part V, Reptiles.
- Vol. 7. The Geology of the Voyage of H. M. S. Beagle, Part I, The Structure and Distribution of Coral Reefs (1889). Introduction by John W. Judd (1890).
- Vol. 8. The Geology..., Part II, The Volcanic Islands (1844).
- Vol. 9. The Geology..., Part III, The South America (1846).
- Vol. 10. The Foundations of the Origin of Species. Two essays, written in 1842 and 1844. Edited by Francis Darwin (1909).
- Vol. 11. A Monograph on the Sub-class Cirripedia (1851). Vol. I The Lepadidae.
- Vol. 12. A Monograph...Cirripedia. (1854). Vol. II The Balanidae, Part I.
- Vol. 13. A Monograph...Cirripedia. (1854).Vol. II The Balanidae, Part II.
- Vol. 14. A Monograph on the Fossil Lepadidae (1851); and A Monograph on the Fossil Balanidae (1854).
- Vol. 15. The Origin of Species. 1st ed. (1859).
- Volume 16. The Origin of Species. 6th ed. (1876).
- Vol. 17. The Various Contrivances by which Orchids are Fertilised by Insects. 2nd ed. (1877).
- Vol. 19. The Movements and Habits of Climbing Plants. 2nd ed. (1882).
- Vol. 20. The Variation of Animals and Plants under Domestication. 2nd ed. (1875). Vol. I. With preface by Asa Gray (1868).
- Vol. 21. The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex. 2nd ed. With an essay by T. H. Huxley (1877), Part I.
- Vol. 22. The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex. 2nd ed. (1877), Part II.
- Vol. 23. The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals. 2nd ed. Edited by Francis Darwin (1890).
- Vol. 24. Insectivorous Plants. 2nd ed. Revised by Francis Darwin (1888).
- Vol. 25. The Effects of Cross and Self Fertilisation in the Vegetable Kingdom. 2nd ed. (1878).
- Vol. 26. The Different Forms of Flowers on Plants of the Same Species. 2nd ed. With preface by Francis Darwin (1884).
- Vol. 27. The Power of Movement in Plants (1880).
- Vol. 28. The Formation of Vegetable Mould, Through the Action of Worms, with Observations on their Habits (1881).
- Vol. 29. Erasmus Darwin. By Ernst Krause, with a preliminary notice by Charles Darwin (1879). The Autobiography of Charles Darwin. Edited by Nora Barlow (1958).
- Paul H. Barrett, formerly Distinguished Professor Emeritus at Michigan State University, editor of The Collected Papers of Charles Darwin (1977); A Concordance to Darwin's Origin of Species (1981); and A Concordance to Darwin's Expression of the Emotions (1986).
- Peter Gautrey, formerly Under Librarian in the manuscripts department of Cambridge University Library and an expert in Darwin bibliography and manuscript.
- R. B. Freeman, formerly Emeritus Reader and Honorary Research Fellow at the University of London.
Having the whole output of a single author as a complete set arranged in chronological order is a resource of incalculable value.
—P. J. James
Archives of Natural History
InteLex goes to unusual lengths to guarantee editorial and technical accuracy and excellence. . . . Highly recommended for academic libraries and research libraries serving literary scholarship.
—Review, Harvard University Library
Database and Disc Reviews